In small rooms, fixed doors to storage rooms in attic dormers are often blocked by furniture. In order to minimize this problem and have maximum entrance to the storage area under the roof part in the dormer, I have created a vertical sliding door.
– The door actually looks like the wall and feels like a wall due to the weight of 30 kg.
– It is counterbalanced by 60 kg led, and a cable and pulley system ensure that the door slides smoothly, no matter where you push the wall. The only moving part of the construction is a rope, visible on the right
– This rope is a dyneema line which has almost no stretch and can hold up to over 1.000 Kg. The no stretch part is required to keep the door leveled
– The front wooden part where the door slides through is strengthened by a steel ‘L’ iron of 50 x 50 mm inside the wood over most of the length. You can sit on it without bending/harming the construction
– Two ordinary IKEA door dampers ensure a smooth landing of the door