Edenhall Hospital is a good example of an early 19th century villa with a late 19th century addition and interior design scheme with very fine Jacobean and Art Nouveau detailing to the principal rooms. Although the buildings have a varied history and have been adapted in different phases for change of use, the Jacobean and Art Nouveau style interiors have remained intact as a very fine example of late 19th century interior design by a prominent Scottish architectural firm.
Pinkieburn House was built in 1826 as the home of the Lindsay family. It became the first Manse for the minister Rev John Watson of the Congregational Union of Scotland when he married the daughter of the Lindsay family, who were strong supporters of the church. George Washington Browne (1853-1939) and John More Dick Peddie (1853-1921) were commissioned to carry out extensions to include a library, study and drawing room from 1894-1899. The very fine interior detailing in the principal rooms of the house dates from this phase of development.
In 1915 the last member of the Lindsay family died and Pinkieburn House was gifted to the Scottish Branch of the British Red Cross. Local Edinburgh firm James Jerdan and Son carried out extensions in 1918-1920 for conversion to hospital use. In 1921 the building was opened as a hospital for disabled ex-servicemen, at one time known as the Edenhall Hospital for Limbless Sailors. The later V-shape extension linked to the west gable of the main block is described as built in a document of 1918 and the additional detached blocks to the south east of the site are thought to date to a development phase around 1953 when the administration of the Hospital was handed over to the Secretary of State for Scotland. The building ceased use as a hospital facility in 2013.
The 1918 V-plan ward blocks attached to the west of the main building were not found to be of special interest in listing terms at the time of the listing review in 2014.
Listed building record and statutory address updated, 2014. Previously listed as ‘Edenhall Hospital, (formerly Pinkieburn House), Edenhall Road, Musselburgh, including former Stable Block, Sundial and Ornamental Garden Walls and Railings’.