Nottingham General Hospital (founded in 1782 and closed in 1992) was the first properly constituted hospital in Nottingham, England.
It was part of the area known as Nottingham Park, immediately to the north of Nottingham Castle and near the wharves, and was founded on land of which one half was given by Thomas Pelham-Clinton, 3rd Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne for the purpose, and the other half by the town corporation.
The architect of the first building was John Simpson, with later additions by many hands, including extensions by Alfred Waterhouse. It opened with 44 beds.
In 1787 the hospital was extended with the opening of the Derbyshire wing. A third storey was built onto the original building in 1855. Another new wing on the Park Row frontage opened in 1879, and the Jubilee Wing with circular wards opened in 1900.
The Nurses Memorial Home was opened by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) in 1923 as a monument to the First World War dead of Nottinghamshire. The Ropewalk Wing opened in 1929, the Player Wing in 1932 and the Castle Ward in 1943.
In 1948, at the formation of the National Health Service, the hospital came under the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board. Nottingham General Hospital comprised 423 beds with an additional 114 at the Cedars.
The Intensive Care Unit was built in 1963 and the Trent Wing in 1972.
Parts of the former premises have passed into the possession of the Nottingham City Primary Care Trust, and others have been demolished or been converted to other uses.