http://www.RigleyRealtyGroup.com Fair Oaks Homes for Sale, Fair Oaks Realtor Mike & Jennifer Rigley discuss Fair Oaks Home Values Fair Oaks Real Estate Blog — Top 10 Remodeling Myths — 6-10
Fair Oaks Realtor and Fair Oaks Area Specialists Mike & Jennifer Rigley here bringing you the latest Fair Oaks Real Estate Information. Thank you for joining us. Today let’s talk about the top 10 remodeling myths 6-10.
6. Adding a bedroom is better than adding a bathroom. It depends on the starting point. If you only have one or two bedrooms to start with, adding a bedroom before adding a second bath is probably a wise choice since most buyers are more attracted to a three bedroom home. On the other hand, if you already have three bedrooms and only one bath, your next investment would probably be in a new bathroom.
7. Paint hides a multitude of sins. Dry rot? Fungus damage? Mold problems? Carpenter ants? Termite issues? Nothing a can of paint can’t fix, right? Wrong! Not only does this practice violate disclosure laws in most states, it can set you up for liability after the sale as most buyers will want you to foot the bill for these hidden issues.
8. Converting a garage to living space is a great trade off. Nope. A garage conversion is almost always viewed negatively by future Fair Oaks home buyers unless you replace the lost garage with another space of equal size (but then what’s the point?). If you are going to do one anyway make sure that the space can be easily converted back to a garage at the time of the sale.
9. Doing the work yourself will save you money. For many Fair Oaks homeowners wiring a new lighting fixture or plumbing a new dishwasher is a no-brainer, for the rest of us it may end up costing us more later in repair costs when we have to order the work redone by a professional. Another consideration is local and state laws regarding remodeling work. In many states if you have purchased a home to remodel and resell, you must either hold a contractor’s license or hire a contractor to do the work for you.
10. Pools add value to your Fair Oaks home. This is only true if you live in areas where they are must have amenities. Be warned that this isn’t true for most areas of the country and the idea of maintaining a pool for ten months out of the year when it can’t be enjoyed won’t appeal to most buyers.
Becoming an informed Fair Oaks home owner is the first step in making wise and profitable decisions when it comes to choosing the right remodeling projects. But don’t stop here. Talk to remodeling professionals, contractors, home improvement specialists, and local agents about what amenities are coveted most by Fair Oaks home buyers in your market.
What’s my Fair Oaks Home Worth? Call us today at 916-396-7487 for a free no obligation consultation or log on to http://www.RigleyRealtyGroup.com to find out. Call us today — you’ll be glad you did.